Skip to main content

Plantar Fasciitis: The At Home Treatment

If you have ever suffered from heel pain or pain in you arch, you've probably had plantar fasciitits. It's really uncomfortable, sometimes painful, and just plain annoying.
If you haven't worked with or asked your personal trainer or a physical therapist, you may be inclined to go to the doctor who then refers you to a podiatrist. From there he will give you some things you can do to alleviate the symptoms like stretching your calves; that is until your custom and expensive orthodic insert arrives. Have you started adding up the amount of money this is going to cost? Well you're not done yet, once you're locked in to wearing that insert, you're locked in with this doctor for life and here's why: that insert provides a lift for your heal, further shortening your calf muscles and Achilles tendon (the exact same muscles you were told to stretch in order to relieve the pain) and further perpetuating the plantar's fasciitis! Now take all those copays (if you have insurance) and cost of the orthotics and any subsequent pain management (they sometimes go as far as cortisone injections) and any time off you had to take and all the years of treatment, that's a pretty big price tag for something that does not require medical treatment!
This blog was inspired by a family member who refuses to listen to me and acknowledge my expertise in the health and fitness industry. So! Instead of continuing to talk to a wall so to say, I'm hoping this post may help some of you out there suffering from heel and arch pain or even those who are already wearing inserts in your shoes. The following outline will help resolve the root cause of pain and prevent it from reoccurring and get you out of the medical system for this particular ailment, if you find yourself stuck in it. 

Plantar fasciitis, as defined by the National Academy of Sports Medicine, is the irritation and swelling of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot. The most common complaint is pain in the bottom of the heel.



One of the easiest ways to prevent plantar fasciitis is to get yourself some quality foot wear. This may mean you can't wear the most stylish of shoes, boots, or sandals but it's not worth the pain and long term damage you could cause. For runners or anyone who walks a lot, Raph and I highly recommend Brooks Running (we are not getting any money by referring them, we just believe in their shoes). We both suffered from plantar fasciitis until we switched to Brooks and I started buying Clarks flip flips instead of those hard soled, although stylish, sandals. Make sure there's good cushion for the heel and balls of the feet and there's a wide enough toe box for your toes to expand as you walk. Drug store arch supports actually worsen the condition and the temporary relief is not guaranteed. If you cannot afford a new pair of shoes, I recommend one of the full length cushioned inserts (same thickness throughout the support), this will enhance your current shoe but if there's not enough room for your toes to spread out as you walk, you may still feel discomfort. 

Now to address the existing pain, all you will need is a tennis ball and a wall! The tennis ball is to roll under your foot, from the heel, all the way up the arch. Depending on the severity of your case, this can be painful so be gentle at first and slowly increase pressure when you can. Next will be a two part calf stretch, the gastrocnemius (the meaty part of your calf) and the soleus (the part of the calf just below the gastroc). Facing a wall, stand in a lunge position with the affected foot behind you, heel down, no bend in the knee and the other bent at 90 degrees, toes facing the wall. You can place your hands on the wall for support. Lunge forward by pushing your hips towards the wall and pause for a 30 second hold at the first sign of resistance from your calf (for some of you, simply being in this position is enough of a stretch, lunge forward as able to increase). For the second part, add a slight bend in the knee of the leg you are stretching, heel remains down. You should feel a stretch in the lower part of your calf, closest to your heel. One set of each stretch is all that is needed at one time but you can repeat a few times throughout the day until you feel the tension start to decrease.
Optional: If you have a foam roller, roll out your calf before performing the standing stretch. Roll up the calf until you feel discomfort and hold for 30 seconds. Continue up the calf and repeat at each site of discomfort, one set.

Additional tips: Remember, we live in a concrete world and it's just not ideal for our bodies and especially our feet which we're on all day long. So if you can, walk around barefoot on natural surfaces, like out in the grass or in the sand so your feet can operate as nature intended. Add some single leg exercises to your workout routine as well.

I have provided some videos and images for reference below but never hesitate to contact me for assistance!

 Foam Rolling Option: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-e7YIpiok0
 
 Standing Calf Stretch (gastrocnemius and soleus):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URK3EXjTUP4
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Blog, Why Now?

I could keep sitting here, wasting time, trying to think of ways to start this thing, or I could just start typing! I'll have to go back and jazz this up a bit though, no one's going to read this the way it looks now. Where are the pictures, the videos, the stimulation??? Don't worry, I'll fix it! You'll never know it started with just black text on a white screen. :) Why start a blog? Well, I have a lot of information, ideas, thoughts in my head, like most of you do and I need an outlet to share it. It used to be with my clients in the gyms or studios I've worked at but the last two years I haven't had that and I'm feeling a little deflated, out of practice, unsatisfied. It's going to change, relatively soon! But to get me through to that point (or maybe I'll have a knack for this and just keep going), I'm going to BLOG! I'm going to share my knowledge and wisdom and ideas and experiences with you!  I've always loved how Stephen

#longevity

The first class on Day 1 of the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Optima Conference was a welcome indicator of what was to come. Being my first time at this event, I was not sure what to expect but James Fitzgerald of OPEX Fitness put any concerns to rest. The class was titled "The Case Against High Intensity". It's a great hook for trainers like myself and my husband because we KNOW high intensity training is not the answer, we just don't always have the right words to express it or have the current science and evidence about it. It's funny because I signed up for this class based on what I thought the headline would bring but of course ended up learning so much more! Here's the gist: We need to look at fitness as the "long game" Is this program I've created sustainable for someone to start in their 30's and continue into their 40's, 50's, what about their 80's? Is my client able to perform without compensation,

Agility Ability

Now here was a class that really pushed my boundaries!  Taught by Andrew Hanley Although I incorporate agility exercises in to all my client's programs, it's not something I really hone in on because it's more appropriate for athletes, or so I thought. Some of the outcomes you can expect to see are better body control, improved movement, and enhanced decision making abilities. Those are the kinds of goals we can all benefit from! Up until this point, I utilized more Change of Direction methods in my coaching, these are pre-planned changes in direction and/or velocity. In other words, the client knows the task at hand. This is a great starting point but while we want to challenge the body, we also want to challenge the mind and that's where agility drills come in.               Example Change of Direction Exercise : Client steps up on to a box, before they step down, I tell them they will step down and then turn and continue walking to their right. Agility is